What I liked
- The organisation of this app matches my personal organisational style. It allowed me to compartmentalise each part of my life into a folder and make lists in documents.
- You can add different people to different folders and leave others private.
- I appreciate the clean design. I hate using the notes app on my iPhone because of the Marker Felt font and wide-ruled design. This is a good alternative.
- The app translated well to my phone. Documents looked the same and were just as simple to edit.
- I can focus on the task because of the limited formatting options.
- Changes are live. What I do on my computer is instantly on my phone. If another person makes changes, I receive notifications.
What bothered me
- This may not be an issue for everyone, but the app can’t count words.
- The documents can’t save as editable files. They print or become PDFs.
- The formatting was messed up in the transfer to Word and I spent a lot of time working to correct it.
The verdict on Quip
The issues in using this app for collaboration lies in the inability to transfer a file between programs and low capacity of the word processor and those are major issues which don’t allow me to use this app for professional purposes.
I think this is great for personal organisational use and I plan to keep using it for that purpose. But business-wise, you probably need something a little more sophisticated.